Washington County, NE
Engineer Cantonment is located north of Omaha in the Ponca Hills area just inside Washington County and consists of 3.73 acres. This property was donated to the Foundation in 1985 by Gloria and Herb Gibreal of Omaha. It is on this property that Rob Bozell and Gayle Carlson of the History Nebraska (formerly Nebraska State Histocial Society) Archeology staff discovered the site where Major Stephen H. Long and a party of scientists wintered in 1819-20. The History Nebraska excavations of this site took place in 2003 and 2004.
230 S. 6th Street, Brownville, NE
The home of Governor Robert W. Furnas, Nebraska’s second governor and one of the founders of the Nebraska State Historical Society in 1878. The Furnas House, located in Brownville, NE, is a two-story brick structure placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1970. In 1986 Joe Seacrest undertook the task of raising money to purchase the house. As a result of his efforts, the Foundation received $38,210 in donations and was able to purchase the property in 1986 from Reverend James L. Stilwell, Jr. and Phyllis Stilwell of Lincoln for the amount of $41,700. The Brownville Fine Arts Association has been leasing the property from the Foundation since 1987.